Do we have a good understanding on “What Is The Holy Spirit?”
What Is The Holy Spirit in the bible?
The Holy Spirit is God, our Lord Jesus Christ. It is a promise that believers are to receive the Holy Spirit.
In John 20:21-23, Jesus breathed on the disciples and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.”
However this is not the fulfillment that the disciples have all receive the promise Holy Spirit. Let us find out more from the bible on what is the Holy Spirit..
What is the Holy Spirit? – He is God given Helper to us.
- The Lord Jesus said, “for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you” (Jn 16:7). At this point the Lord Jesus had not yet ascended to heaven, thus he could not have yet given the Holy Spirit to them.
- The apostle John writes, “for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified” (Jn 7:39). The Lord Jesus had not yet been glorified when he appeared to the disciples (being glorified refers to ascension and exaltation; Acts 2:33; 5:31; Phil 2:9-10); so he could not have given them the Holy Spirit at this point.
- If the disciples had already received the Holy Spirit here, why then did the Lord Jesus tell them to wait for the coming of the Holy Spirit in Jerusalem? (Lk 24:49; Acts 1:4-5).
The Holy Spirit was actually given to the disciples on the day of Pentecost—a few days after Jesus ascended to heaven (Acts 2:1-4,33).
The words, “receive the Holy Spirit” is a promise and an assurance, not a fulfillment. The same sentence structure is found in “Peace be with you” (vv. 19, 21), which is also an assurance and promise.
What is the Holy Spirit? – Not everyone who says “Jesus is Lord” received the Holy Spirit. The disciples in Ephesus had not received or even heard of it.
- In 1 Cor 12:3 reads, “no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit”. But it does not mean that anyone who acknowledges Jesus as Lord has received the Holy Spirit.
- A person who has not received the Holy Spirit may also be moved by the Holy Spirit to acknowledge Christ as Lord.
- If everyone who can say “Jesus is Lord” has received the Holy Spirit, why then is it that the people in Samaria did not receive the Holy Spirit even when they had accepted the word of God and had been baptized? (Acts 8:12-17). Were they still not able to say, “Jesus is Lord”?
- The disciples in Ephesus had not received or even heard of the Holy Spirit when they had already believed in the Lord.
- It was not until Paul laid hands on them that the Holy Spirit came upon them (Acts 19:1-6).
What Is The Holy Spirit? By now you know God promised us the Holy Spirit as our Helper but it is not true that we have all received the Holy Spirit when we believe. So how do we know we have received the Holy Spirit?
If you want to know more about the Holy Spirit, feel free to request for one by providing your name and email address below…