What should be our attitude towards the Holy Spirit?
The Holy Spirit is what God promised to those called by God (Acts 2:39)
and who believe in Jesus (Acts 15:7-8; Gal 3:5).
Jesus said, “The world cannot accept Him because it neither sees Him nor knows Him.”
(Jn 14:17) The unbelieving and disobedient cannot receive the Holy Spirit.
What should our attitude be?
1. Open our hearts to let the Holy Spirit in (Rev 3:20; Gal 4:6).
2. Ask for the descending of the Holy Spirit (Lk 11:13; Acts 1:4).
3. Desire the gifts of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor 14:1).
4. Be filled with the Holy Spirit (Eph 5:18).
5. Do not grieve the Holy Spirit (Eph 4:30).
6. Do not quench the Holy Spirit (1 Thess 5:19).
7. Live by the Holy Spirit (Gal 5:16,25).
What are the consequences when our attitude towards the Holy Spirit
1. Resisting the Holy Spirit: hardening one’s heart and not believing in Jesus, persecuting preachers and churches that testify Jesus (Acts 7:57).
2. Deceiving the Holy Spirit: believers, out of selfishness, behave deceptively in the church. Ananias and his wife died of such sin (Acts 5:3).
3. Irreverence for the Holy Spirit: believers who have received God’s grace and known the truth, sin deliberately, trampling God’s Son, treating in an unholy manner the blood of the covenant that sanctified them, and slighting gifts of the Holy Spirit (Heb 10:29).
4. Blaspheming against the Holy Spirit: some people regard the work and gifts of the Holy Spirit as the devil’s work (Mk 3:28-30), blindly referring to the Holy Spirit as evil spirit or sorcery. Such sins are the most serious “eternal sin” which will never be forgiven (Mt 12:31-32).
The Holy Spirit is an evidence that we belong to Christ (Rom 8:9). Only when one receives the Holy Spirit does he belong to Christ (Eph 4:30). Let us treasure this grace and watch our attitude towards the Holy Spirit, otherwise we will be like the foolish virgins who had lamps without oil and do not shine. On that Day, the Lord will tell them, “I do not know you.” (Mtt 25:12).
If you want to know more about the Holy Spirit, feel free to request for one by providing your name and email address below…