Question: Jesus is the Messiah. How do we know?
Jesus is the Messiah…
conceived by the Holy Spirit in the womb of a virgin named Mary (Mt 1:18, Lk 1:34-35). Matthew 2:1 and Luke 1:5 tell us Jesus was born when Herod the Great was still alive, and thus indicate his birth occurred sometime before Herod’s death in 4 BC. Due to a mistake in calculation by a Scythian monk, our era is dated according to Christ’s birth in 1 AD. According to most historians, however, Jesus was born sometime between 8 and 4 BC, and about 750 years after the traditional date for the founding of Rome in 753 BC. He was born in Bethlehem of Judah (Lk 2:4), the city of David, and grew up in Nazareth, a small city in Galilee. His name, “Jesus,” is the transliteration of the Greek for the Hebrew name Joshua, which means “The Lord saves.” The title “Christ” is derived from the Greek term that means “Messiah” (Hebrew), or “Anointed One.”
Jesus is the Messiah – His life on earth
Despite his unique birth, Jesus fully displayed his humanity. He experienced hunger (Mt 4:2), thirst (Jn 19:28), and needed rest (Mk 4:38). He felt anger and grief (Mk 3:5), wept when one of his dearest friends died (Jn 11:35), and suffered agony before and during his crucifixion (Lk 22:44; Mt 27:46). He aged, so that though he began his ministry at about thirty years of age (Lk 3:23), he appeared to be about fifty (Jn 8:57). He died on a cross; his side, pierced by a Roman soldier’s spear, gushed water and blood. He was buried according to Jewish customs (Jn 19:38-42), resurrected and appeared to his disciples, including to over five hundred of them at once (1 Cor 15:6).
Jesus is the Messiah – Significant claims about himself
1. He is God: “I and My Father are one (Jn 10:30); “He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?” (Jn 14:9).
2. He is the way to God and salvation: “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me” (Jn 14:6); “I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved” (Jn 10:9).
3. He carries supreme authority, even over nature (Lk 8:25), for “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth” (Mt 28:18)
4. He has power to forgive sins (Mk 2:5-12; Lk 7:48-50; Jn 8:24)— power that only belongs to God
5. “Before Abraham was, I AM” (Jn 8:58): he existed before Abraham; he is the eternal Yahweh (Ex 3:14).
6. His words are eternal: “Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away” (Mk 13:31).
7. He is the light of the world (Jn 8:12).
8. He is the living bread and gives his flesh as food (Jn 6:51); he provides living water to quench thirst eternally (Jn 4:14).
9. He will answer prayer (Jn 14:14).
10. He is the resurrection and source of eternal life (Jn 11:25-26)
Jesus is the Messiah…
the anointed one and it is only by this name that we can be saved. Now that we know Jesus is the Messiah, let us come and seek Him now!
If you want to know more about Jesus Christ, feel free to request for one by providing your name and email address below…