What is Judgment Day?
It is commonly known that if a person violates the law, he will be arrested, brought before the judge for judgment and sentenced according to the law. Likewise, all the people of the world have violated God’s law and fallen under God’s judgment (Rom 4:19). The Bible warns us, “Hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment while continuing their punishment” (2 Pet 2:9).
The Bible indicates that God’s judgment day is in the future (Acts 24:25) which is also called the day of righteous judgment (Rom 2:5) and “judgment on the great day” (Jude 6). This will happen at Christ’s second coming (Rev 20:11-12). The outcome for the righteous will be a glorious reward (Rev 11:18, 22:12); the outcome for sinners will be destruction (Rev 20:15; 21:8). Jesus is the one whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead (Acts 10:42; Jn 5:27).
Why must God judge the world?
God judges the world for 2 reasons:
1. To separate the good from the evil: “All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.” (Mt 25:31-32); “Then you shall again discern between the righteous and the wicked, between one who serve God and one who does not serve Him.” (Mal 3:18) All the living and the dead will be separated into these two categories.
2. To determine the end for all: “These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” (Mt 25:46) “…First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them; but gather the wheat into my barn.” (Mt 13:30) “… He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn, but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.” (Mt 3:12).
Having known what is Judgment Day, do you know what the judgement will be based on?
1. Based on truth: “… Now we know that God’s judgment against those who do such things is based on truth.” (Rom 2:2)
2. Based on right and wrong: God judges Gentiles who do not have the law, “… although not having the law, are a law to themselves, who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them.” (Rom 2:15)
3. Based on the law: “… And as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law.” (Rom 2:12; Jas 2:12) “You who brag about the law, do you dishonour God by breaking the law?” (Rom 2:23) “The one who is not circumcised physically and yet obeys the law will condemn you who, even though you have the written code and circumcision, are a law-breaker.” (Rom 2:27)
4. Based on the gospel: “This will take place on the day when God will judge, men’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.” (Rom 2:16) “He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words, has that which judges him – the word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day.” (Jn 12:48)
5. Based on miracles: “If the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day. But I tell you that it will be more bearable for Sodom on the day of judgment than for you.” (Mt 11:23-24)
What is Judgement Day in relation with Christ’s second coming?
The Bible indicates that God’s judgment day is in the future (Acts 24:25) which is also called the day of righteous judgment (Rom 2:5) and “judgment on the great day” (Jude 6). This will happen at Christ’s second coming (Rev 20:11-12). Jesus is the one whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead (Acts 10:42; Jn 5:27).
Knowing what is Judgment Day is not enough. Instead, let us accept Christ now and walk on the path of salvation He has prepared in order be ready to meet the Lord.
In other words, the effect of the blood of Jesus, by the testimony of the Holy Spirit, is present during baptism to cleanse the sin of the person being baptized. Although the candidate’s body is immersed in water physically, yet his spiritual being is cleansed by the blood of Jesus (Heb 10:22 “washed”=immersed).
If you want to know more about Judgement Day, feel free to request for one by providing your name and email address below…