What will it be like when Jesus comes?
“The day should surprise you like a thief. Be alert.” It means that the Lord will come at an unexpected hour, at the darkest hour of the world.
Some hold the view that the Lord’s coming should be invisible because He comes like a thief. This is a wrong perspective. His coming is for all to see.
“Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen” (Revelation 1:7)
When Jesus comes, all the people will mourn because of Him.
His majesty and glory are awesome. The universe will be overthrown. The dead who had believed will be raised imperishable and the living will be changed, together caught up with them in the clouds and meet Christ in the air (1 Cor 15:52; 1 Thess 4:16-17).
The following is a scene of what the Lord’s coming is like.
- When the Lord comes with His angels, He will sit on His throne in heavenly glory (Mt 25:31; 16:27; Jude 14)
- He will be revealed from heaven in blazing fire (2 Thess 1:7), coming on the clouds of the day (Mt 24:30)
- With a loud command, with the trumpet call of God (1 Thess 4;16; 1 Cor 15:52). With a loud trumpet call He will gather His elect from the four winds (Mt 24:31; Mk 13:27)
- With the breath of His mouth the Lord will overthrow the lawless one and destroy him by the splendour of His coming (2 Thess 2:8)
- All who are in their graves will hear His voice and come out (Jn 5:28); the sea and death and Hades will give up the dead for judgment (Rev 20:13)
How should we prepare before Jesus comes?
While in the world, the Lord repeatedly instructed His disciples to be alert and keep watch.
We should grasp the opportunity to believe in the Lord and prepare ourselves so that we may be confident and unashamed at His coming (1 Jn 2:28); overjoyed (1 Pet 4:13) in His presence (1 Thess 2:19); brought safely into His heavenly kingdom (2 Tim 4:18).
The following is a list of our preparations:
- Remain alert and prepare oil (Mt 25:1-10): the oil is the Holy Spirit, the source of light and strength
- Cleanse our clothes (Rev 22:12; 16:15): it refers to righteousness (Mt 22:11-13)
- Serve with faithfulness (Mt 24:45-46): God’s servants should serve the Lord faithfully, not seeking worldly fame and gain
- Abandon darkness for the light (Rom 13:12-14): walk in the light
- Love one another (1 Pet 4:7-9): Do not murmur against each other (Jas 5:9)
- Love the Lord (1 Cor 16:22): lest with the increase of wickedness love grows cold (Mt 24:12)
- Acknowledge the Lord with boldness (Lk 9:26; 12:9): “Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.” (Mt 10:28)
- Do not forsake assembling (Heb 10:25): “…as you see the day approaching.”
- Be humble (Phil 4:5): “For this world in its present form is passing away.” (1 Cor 7:31)
- Hold on to what you have (Rev 3:11; 2:25): guard the truth of the Lord; remain true to the Lord’s name (Rev 2:13); remain upright (Job 2:3); hold on to the good (1 Thess 5:21), as well as true life (1 Tim 6:19)
- Do the will of God (Heb 10:36-37): Do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.” (Eph 5:17)
- Wait with patience (Jas 5:7; Rom 8:25): “By standing firm you will gain life.” (Lk 21:19) “He who stands firm to the end will be saved.” (Mt 24:13) “
He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus. (Rev 22:20)
When the Lord Jesus comes, will you be ready to meet Him?
If you want to know more about the Second Coming of Christ, feel free to request for one by providing your name and email address below…